Data to Insights (D2I) Technical Team
The Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative builds on decades of data and systems work at UT Austin to accelerate a path forward in support of the university’s strategic planning. It brings together Analytics expertise (formerly the Institutional Analytics group), Technical expertise (formerly the Information Quest group), and Functional expertise (drawn from both academic and administrative units).
The D2I Technical team will continue to operate legacy Information Quest services including the on-premise data warehouse, Cognos and other essential IQ data services under the supervision of the assistant vice president for Information Technology Services (ITS). UT is in the early stage of planning for the gradual service reduction, transition and retirement of legacy IQ services when those operational needs can be met through the Data Hub and other new tools. IQ services pages with alerts and news will continue for the foreseeable future.
ALERTS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
09/27/22 - NOTIFICATION: Tableau Downtime Maintenance and New Log in Requirement
Attention: Tableau Producers & Consumers
- Maintenance to activate the use of Single Sign-on and Multifactor Authentication when logging into Tableau.
- Downtime maintenance is Sunday, October 16, 2022 from 8:00AM to 9:00AM.
- Once maintenance is complete, all Tableau users will begin logging into Tableau via the standard Single Sign-on system with their UT-EID, password and Multifactor credentials.
- Tableau service (all published visualizations on iq-analytics, those embedded to a department webpage, and public visualizations, as well as published data sources) will be UNAVAILABLE during the downtime maintenance window.
- Feel free to let your specific dashboard consumers know about the one-hour downtime maintenance as needed.
New log in requirement for Tableau:
- When logging into Tableau via desktop or web browser be prepared to log in via the standard Single Sign-on system with UT-EID, password and Multifactor credentials.
- Let your specific dashboard consumers know about the new multifactor log in requirement.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
08/15/22 - Legacy Enterprise Data Warehouse Oracle Database Migration
In Scope: Cognos Report Consumers/Report Writers, Tableau Producers and REST Web Services
Out of Scope: University Development Office reports and FAMIS8i reports - this database migration does NOT affect you.
- The legacy enterprise data warehouse (EDW) Oracle Database hosted by D2I Technical (formerly IQ) will be migrated to the ITS Exadata Oracle Database.
- The legacy EDW Oracle Database is nearing expiry dates for both hardware and software and must be replaced.
- Cutover to the ITS Exadata Production Database is planned for Saturday, December 3, 2022.
What is affected:
- The Cognos IQ-Data and IQ-Author test/prod environments, Tableau test/prod servers and the REST test/prod Web Services will be migrated to the new Exadata database on December 3, 2022.
- The database migration event will only take a few minutes to complete, and there is no anticipated user impact.
We Need Your Help:
- From September to November 2022, we need testers to help validate and test Cognos, Tableau and REST to ensure a seamless database migration. Please let us know if you can assist. Thanks!
- We will also reach out to a targeted group of core Cognos, Tableau and REST customers to get their assistance during the validating/testing period.
Please let us know if you have any questions: D2I-LDSHelp@austin.utexas.edu
04/07/22 - MINOR COGNOS UPGRADE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED
- Users may now use Firefox (v99+) or Chrome (v100+) browsers to run reports (including the Transaction Detail Report) or access cubes on IQ-Data.
- Report writers may now use Firefox or Chrome when creating or modifying reports in Report Studio as well as when running exiting reports on IQ-Author.
- Set your browser pop-up blocker to OFF (allow pop-ups) for Cognos use - Supported Internet Browsers and Settings.
For Legacy Data Services (LDS) help, contact email@example.com.
12/15/2021 - Tableau Security - Accessing the Server and Dashboards Off Campus
Due to security issues related to the log4j vulnerability, accessing the Tableau server and dashboards requires UT VPN connectivity for remote/Off Campus use. The UT VPN requires 2 Factor Authentication (2FA). Contact the ITS Helpdesk directly with VPN questions or issues at 512-475-9400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
10/21/2021 - Cognos FTIC Flow Reports and Graduation and Retention Rate (GRR) Package
Attention: PBIS Report Consumers and GRR Report Writers
The First Time in College (FTIC) Flow reports on IQ-Data and the GRR package on IQ-Author are temporarily UNAVAILABLE due to a data discrepancy between the Cognos package and the source data. We apologize for the inconvenience as we work to resolve this issue.
IQ WORKDAY HCM UPDATE - April 7, 2021
In January 2020, IQ announced a pause on development of Cognos products, Tableau extracts and REST Service data feeds for Workday Human Capital Management (HCM) data. We are continuing to collaborate with Enterprise Business Information Technology Solutions (eBITS) to develop Workday HCM data capabilities via the enterprise data warehouse, but have not defined a timetable for offering that data.
If you have an immediate need for Workday HCM data for reporting or application development, please inquire with eBITS at askUS@austin.utexas.edu.
IQ SERVICES UPDATE - March 16, 2020
In order to support our community and fight against the spread of COVID19, all IQ staff are working remotely. During this time, we remain fully available to support our services and users. IQ does not anticipate any service impacts as a result of the university response to COVID19 - Cognos, Tableau, and other IQ services are fully operational.
Please continue to send your IQ requests to email@example.com.
IQ WORKDAY HCM UPDATE - January 28, 2020
With UT’s implementation of Workday, the university tasked Information Quest (IQ) with the goal of developing reporting products to provide continued access to legacy data while enabling trend reporting spanning the legacy and Workday systems.
IQ has made great progress toward this goal. However, after focused effort to integrate complex Workday (WD) data structures, it is apparent that more work is required to offer accurate, comprehensive Human Capital Management (HCM) data and analytics products to the university.
As a result, IQ will pause WD-sourced products, including the HCM Worker Year Over Year Cube, while determining the best approach for obtaining HCM data with the highest degree of data veracity. IQ and Enterprise Business Information Technology Solutions (eBITS) are working together to establish high quality products using WD data.
For more details, see the IQ Workday HCM Update Document.